Search This Blog

Custom Search

Feb 14, 2012

Lemon Cake Baked In Rice Cooker



A couple of weeks ago, I discovered a new method of baking a cake through here. I guess not many of us know about it, including me. But I learned and successfully baked a cake using my Panasonic microcomputer rice cooker.



Microcomputer rice cooker is super intelligent. Furthermore the inner pot is Diamond Fluorine coated, so it's a non stick pot. I manage to flip the cake from the pot without any problem. As you can see, the above photo is the bottom side of the cake.


This is the top view of the cake.

The cake texture is in between chiffon cake and margarine cake. It's moist and fluffy. I simply came out with my own recipe for the experiment. I keep the recipe simple with the essentials in kitchen. You'll just need flour, sugar, eggs and vegetable oil. To add a hint of fruit flavor, I added the lemon rind and lemon juice. I quite like this type of cake, because it contains no margarine, no cream and no butter, just the vegetable oil. It's definitely healthier.

With this, it marked a new record in my baking journey since July 2009. Although I'm just a newbie in baking, but I slowly gain my interest in it. I will slowly polish up my skill to go for more variety of cakes.

Lemon Cake
Yields for 12 pieces

Ingredients:

4 grade A eggs
180gm self raising flour, sifted
120gm fine sugar
50gm sunflower oil
1 lemon, finely grated zest
2tbsp lemon juice

Method:

1. Beat the eggs and Caster sugar under high speed until fluffy.

2. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice. Fold in the sifted flour with plastic spatula.

3. Pour in the sunflower oil and mix well with spatula.

4. Using spatula, transfer the batter into inner pot of rice cooker. Give the pot a few good shake to remove the air trapped in the batter.

5. Bake the cake using "quick cook" menu.

6. When it's done, leave it cool. Upside turn the pot to leave the cake bottom-up a big plate.